Health Tip: Why People Lose Their Hair
(HealthDay News) -- Hair loss isn't confined to men. Women and even children can lose their hair, the American Academy of Family Physicians says.
Here's the academy's list of possible causes of hair loss:
- Stress caused by an illness or major surgery. This type of hair loss often is temporary.
- Changes in hormone levels, such as those caused by pregnancy or a thyroid disorder.
- Use of certain medications, such as blood thinners, antidepressants, oral contraceptives, heart medications, gout treatments or vitamin A.
- A fungal infection of the scalp.
- An underlying disease, such as diabetes or lupus.
2010Copyright © 2010 ScoutNews, LLC
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing. All rights reserved.