Health Tip: Prevent a Raspy Voice
(HealthDay News) -- If your voice gets hoarse when you overuse it or when you have a cold, the Center for Voice at Northwestern University suggests how you can treat a croaky voice or prevent its recurrence:
- Drink plenty of water.
- If you smoke, quit and avoid secondhand smoke.
- Avoid yelling, screaming and talking loudly for long periods.
- Don't whisper. It's just as hard on your voice as talking loudly.
- Avoid things that dehydrate the body, such as alcohol and caffeine.
- Keep your home humidified.
- To keep your throat moist, suck on lozenges, chew gum or gargle with salt water.
- Avoid spicy foods.
2010Copyright © 2010 HealthDay
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing. All rights reserved.