Health Tip: Practice Gardening Safety
(HealthDay News) -- Even in the garden, you should take precautions to protect yourself from injury, experts advise.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention offers these gardening safety suggestions:
- Dress in long pants, safety goggles and shoes with good support when mowing the lawn or using other yard machinery.
- Protect your hearing when using motorized machinery.
- Wear gloves to prevent cuts and irritation to the skin.
- Apply an insect repellent that contains the chemical DEET, wear tall boots, and keep pants tucked inside socks/boots to ward off ticks and mosquitoes.
- Protect yourself from the sun with long-sleeved shirts, a hat with a wide brim, sunscreen and sunglasses.
2010Copyright © 2010 HealthDay
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing. All rights reserved.