(HealthDay News) -- When a toenail grows down and pushes into
the skin, it's known as ingrown. Usually, the big toe is affected,
but it can happen on any toe.
According to the U.S. National Library of Medicine, here are
possible causes for an ingrown toenail:
- Shoes that are too tight or too loose.
- Toenails that are trimmed too short.
- Toenails that are trimmed with the edges rounded.
- Having thick toenails or difficulty trimming them.
- Tearing a toenail rather than trimming it properly.
- Having very large toenails or naturally curved toenails.
- Injuring the toe, such as by stubbing it.
2010Copyright © 2010
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing. All rights reserved.