Health Tip: Learn to Relax
(HealthDay News) -- Relaxation techniques can help you reduce
stress and improve sleep.
The University of Maryland Medical Center offers this list of
- Progressive relaxation, which is consciously relaxing the muscles from your toes to your head and everything between.
- Toe tensing involves lying down, pointing the toes toward the
face, and holding for 10 seconds before relaxing the toes and
- Breathing in deeply for eight to 10 seconds, holding the
breath for one to two seconds, and slowly releasing.
- Guided imagery, which involves closing your eyes and visualizing a happy, peaceful place.
- Quiet ears, in which you lie down with hands beneath the head, then block the ear canals with the thumbs. Hold this position for 10 seconds to 15 seconds.
2010Copyright © 2010
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing. All rights reserved.