Health Tip: When You Feed Baby Formula
(HealthDay News) -- Baby formula is designed for infants a year
old or younger who aren't breast-fed.
The U.S. National Library of Medicine offers these suggestions
for safe preparation and use of baby formula:
- Wash bottles and nipples with soap, and sterilize them by
boiling for 10 minutes.
- Follow instructions carefully for mixing formula. Adding the
wrong amount of water can lead to serious health problems for
- Store unmixed formula in areas that are cool and dry with a
plastic lid on top of the can.
- Store mixed formula in the refrigerator for up to 24
- Carefully warm up a bottle by setting it in hot water -- never
boil or microwave it.
- Throw away any formula that baby doesn't eat. Don't save it for
2010Copyright © 2010
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing. All rights reserved.