Health Tip: Reduce Your Risk of
(HealthDay News) -- Atherosclerosis occurs when plaque -- a
combination of fat, cholesterol and calcium deposits -- builds up
The National Heart Lung and Blood Institute suggests these
lifestyle changes that can help reduce the risk of developing
- Stick to a heart-healthy diet that is rich in whole grains,
vegetables and fruits.
- Limit salt, saturated fats, sugar and cholesterol.
- If you're overweight, devise a plan to lose weight.
- Get plenty of exercise each day.
- If you smoke, quit.
- Tell your doctor about any family history of
2011Copyright © 2011
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing. All rights reserved.