Health Tip: When a Person With Alzheimer's
(HealthDay News) -- Mealtime with an Alzheimer's patient can be
stressful and challenging, to make sure the patient gets sufficient
The Alzheimer's Association suggests how to help mealtime go
- Serve meals in a quiet environment with no distractions.
- Clear the table of everything but basic utensils and dishes;
keep dishes plain rather than with bright colors or patterns.
- Make sure the food isn't too hot.
- Serve only one or two foods at a time, and make an effort to
honor the patient's food preferences.
- Have meals together, and don't rush the meal.
- Be understanding if the patient can't remember already having
2011Copyright © 2011
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing. All rights reserved.