Health Tip: If Dementia Causes Sleep Problems
(HealthDay News) -- Sleep problems are common in people with
dementia, but there are things caregivers can do to help their
charges get a peaceful night's rest.
The American Academy of Family Physicians mentions these tips to
help people with dementia sleep better:
- Create a consistent bedtime routine and morning wake time.
- Create obvious ways to tell the time of day, such as placing
clocks in visible areas and opening blinds.
- Limit the amount of caffeine, sugar and junk food in the
- Encourage daily exercise early in the day.
- Cut down on napping.
- Create a peaceful bedroom environment.
- Make sure to control any pain.
2012Copyright © 2012
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing. All rights reserved.