Health Tip: You May Need a Bone Density Test
(HealthDay News) -- A bone density test measures the amounts of
calcium and other minerals in your bones, and how likely you are to
develop thin and brittle bones -- characteristics of a condition
The womenshealth.gov website says your doctor should evaluate
the following factors before recommending a bone density test:
- Your age, and whether you have become menopausal.
- How tall you are and how much you weigh.
- Whether you are a smoker and drink alcohol.
- Your family history of a broken hip, particularly among your
- Medications you take.
- Whether you have a disorder that increases your risk of
2013Copyright © 2013
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing. All rights reserved.