Health Tip: Easing Viral Gastroenteritis
(HealthDay News) -- Viral gastroenteritis, often referred to as
"stomach flu," is a common infection that may trigger vomiting and
The ADAM Encyclopedia suggests ways to help you feel comfortable
and recover from viral gastroenteritis:
- To replace lost fluids and electrolytes, adults and older
children should consume sports drinks such as Gatorade.
- Young children may drink fluid-replacement products made for
- Avoid fruit juices, sodas, Jell-O or other products laden with
sugar, which can worsen diarrhea.
- Don't gulp down too much fluid at once. Instead sip 2 oz. to 4
oz. every 30 minutes to 60 minutes.
- Babies should continue to have breast milk or formula, and
adults should try to eat small amounts of bland foods.
- Don't take an anti-diarrhea medication unless your doctor
2011Copyright © 2011
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing. All rights reserved.