Health Tip: Keep Active by Walking
(HealthDay News) -- Walking is a great form of exercise,
especially for people who are overweight and don't particularly
like to do pushups or jumping jacks.
The Weight-control Information Network offers these suggestions
for people who are overweight and want to begin a walking
- To begin, walk for five minutes each day. The second week, walk
for eight minutes at a time.
- When you feel comfortable, increase your walks to 11 minutes
- Over time, slowly increase the duration of your walks, giving
your heart, lungs and legs a good workout.
- Buy a pair of comfortable walking shoes that offer good
support. Be sure to replace shoes when they show signs of
- Make your exercise more fun by walking around a shopping mall
or park, or by taking a friend with you.
2013Health News Copyright © 2013
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing. All rights reserved.