Treatment for Eating DisordersThe sooner someone gets treatment, the more likely he or she will recover.
 
Usually people with eating disorders need an interdisciplinary approach, including individual and family or couples therapy, nutritional counseling, medical monitoring, and sometimes medications or group therapy. Depending on the severity, inpatient, day hospital, residential treatment or even tube-feeding or intravenous fluids may be necessary.
 
The sooner someone gets treatment, the more likely he or she will recover. Get help soon. Treatment is effective. As many as 75% of those afflicted by anorexia or bulimia will recover; the remaining 25% will be chronically ill and some will die. Family or marital therapy significantly improves the possibility of recovery.
 
Family members and loved ones need to understand that the problem is not a simple one: advice to "just eat" won't help. The eating and body image issues cover up much more complicated feelings, especially whether the person feels loved, feels "lovable? or loves herself. The eating disorder is an illogical system of thoughts and behaviors, attempting to solve deep self-esteem and identity problems and give a sense of control over one's life. Those surrounding the individual with an eating disorder need to understand: logic doesn't work, love does. Find ways to express your love, without over controlling or domination through therapy.
 
For more information, contact:
Eating Disorders Partial Hospital Program
Clinical Director: Paula Holmes, M.S.N., C.S., A.P.R.N.
(860) 545-7203