Therapeutic Recreation Services are provided throughout the continuum of care at The Institute of Living.
The Therapeutic Recreation Services staff is comprised of eight Recreational Therapists providing treatment in Child and Adolescent, and Adult Services.
The goal of Recreational Therapy is to promote recovery and well-being. Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialists (CTRS) provide treatment that utilizes education and activities to assist clients in the development of the skills needed to function in an independent and healthy manner during leisure.
CTRS facilitate a variety of practical skill-building interventions that help clients’ manage their physical, cognitive, social, and emotional realms. Interventions include Leisure Skill development, Leisure Education, Coping Skills, Communication Skills, Expressive Media, Community Integration, Pet Therapy and Wellness.
For further information regarding Therapeutic Recreation Services, contact:
Therapeutic Recreation Student Clinical Fieldwork Program
Clinical fieldwork placements are available on a year-round basis at The Institute of Living for students from colleges and universities that have an accredited degree program in Therapeutic Recreation Services.
The fieldwork program:
- Meets the internship requirements that lead to a Bachelors or Masters degree in Therapeutic Recreation
- Fulfills the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC) guidelines for eligibility to sit for the national certification examination
- Is supervised by a Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist with a minimum of one year of clinical experience in psychiatry
- Adheres to the American Therapeutic Recreation Association’s (ATRA) Therapeutic Recreation Internship Evaluation criteria
Prior to acceptance into the fieldwork program, the prospective intern must:
- Submit in writing, their interest in applying for a clinical fieldwork affiliation
- Meet with the Student Fieldwork Coordinator for an interview and facility tour
- Complete the application and orientation process
- Present a valid immunization record from the student's physician
For further information regarding Therapeutic Recreation Student Clinical Fieldwork Program, contact the Student Fieldwork Coordinator: