Who may use the Health Science Libraries?
- Those authorized to use the HSL are Hartford Hospital (HH) employees, physicians, and physicians' families; Connecticut Children's Medical Center employees and physicians; UCONN residents, interns, and fellows; students currently affiliated with HH; anyone with a valid ID issued by a Hartford Health Care (HHC) partner; persons residing in the Hudson Suites or the ERD Dormitory; and HH patients and their immediate family members.
Do I need to register to use the library?
- Yes, registration is required to check out items from any of the collections
How can I access library resources from work or at home?
- From a computer connected to the hospital network, access the HSL Intranet at
- From a computer not connected to the hospital network, access the HH portal at
- enter your Novell login and password
- access the Health Science Libraries link within the Citrix applications section (icon shown at right)
How can I contact a librarian to ask a question?
- Call the Robinson Health Sciences Library main desk at (860) 545-2230
- Call the Institute of Living Medical Library main desk at (860) 545-7276
How can I find articles full text?
- From the Libraries' Internet or Intranet pages, choose A-to-Z Journal Holdings
- Journal articles not owned by the Health Science Libraires will be obtained through inter-library loan
How can I have a literature search done for me?
- Hartford Hospital, CCMC, MMC and affiliated staff may request a literature search be performed by library staff.
- The professional librarians are available to assist you in any search request you have.
How can I return or renew books?
- Renew a book by calling the main desk at (860) 545-2230
- Books may be kept for a 3-week period and renewed once
- Book drop boxes are located outside of each library for your convenience when the library is closed
What happens when a book is over due?
- We will send you an overdue notice for items not returned by the due date
- We will issue a bill for overdue items that include replacement and processing charges
Can I put books on hold if they are not on the shelf?
- You can place an item on HOLD by calling or coming in to the library
- We will call you when the item is available
- Journals do not circulate, however there are some exceptions.
- Any library staff can assist you with journals.
Is it okay to bring food in to the library?
- We do allow food and drinks in the library for your convenience
- We expect customers to be careful with these items near computer terminals and print material
Photocopy Services/Document Delivery
- Photocopying is available for a small fee.
- Photocopy machines are available for anyone's use at the posted cost.
- Article requests may be submitted in person at any Library or online.
- Documents may be picked up at either the Robinson or Institute of Living Libraries or delivered to your email account.
- The HSL processes a maximum of three requests per person per day.
- All routine requests are filled within 48 hours of processing.
- Any library staff can assist you with photocopying
- Call the Robinson Health Science Library at (860) 545-2230 for all STAT requests. We process STAT requests only for immediate patient care.
Copyright and Fair Use Information
Copyright is based on fair use agreements with publishers, authors and users. Generally, copies of articles intended for educational purposes fall under "fair use" guidelines.
The following links will help you understand copyright and fair use information: