The Pastoral Services department is an interfaith chaplaincy which offers spiritual support to all patients, families and staff. We minister to persons of every faith background, including those who do not have a particular faith. There is always an interfaith chaplain available to meet religious/spiritual needs. Chaplains are trained to help people sort through issues of meaning and value as they face crises in their lives. Call (860) 545-2251 to contact us.
During Regular Hours
Each patient care area has a chaplain responsible for pastoral care in that area who is able to minister on an interfaith basis. He or she can be from any denomination and can also arrange for a particular ministry if you wish. Just ask your nurse to let the unit chaplain know that you desire a visit or you can also call directly at 545-2251.
There is an interfaith chaplain in the hospital twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week to meet spiritual needs which arise and for emergency situations. A Roman Catholic priest is available on request during regular hours. In case of emergency Sacramental ministry, arrangements with a community Roman Catholic priest can be made. Your nurse can page the in-house Chaplain to facilitate that request. A need for a rabbi, imam, or other religious leader can also be addressed. Pastoral Services is always available for all patients and their families.
In the Community
Each year we make a number of presentations in the community that the hospital serves. We are available to:
- conduct workshops in training lay visitors,
- conduct a support group for religious leaders and clergy, based on their experiences in the religious community they serve,
- conduct workshops in spiritual needs of the chronically ill, support of caregivers, end-of-life planning, bereavement - immediate and beyond, listening skills, etc.
- provide information at informal gatherings about what we do,
- supply an informational table about Hartford Hospital pastoral services,
- provide speakers, preachers and conduct worship when the religious leader is unavailable,
- visit the members of your congregation when you are unavailable.