The Jefferson House Institute (JHI) is
committing $45,000 for the 2013 Non-Acute Care Patient Quality and Safety Grant
Competition. This is a program designed
to encourage investigation and development of projects/concepts aimed at
improving patient safety and enhancing the quality of health care service
delivery in the Hartford Healthcare (HHC) non-acute care service areas.
service areas will include:
- Skilled Nursing Facilities
- Assisted Living Facilities
- Home Care
- Seniors living independently at
competition will be administered by Ilene Staff, PhD of Hartford Hospital (HH) Research; proposals will be evaluated and approved for funding by
the JHI Committee and HH Research.
Investigators will be limited to HHC personnel.
Grants to be Awarded
The awarding of three grants, each up to $15,000, is anticipated for 2013. This will be increased to $75,000 with five
grants awarded in 2014.
Additional Potential JHI Funding
be the potential of additional JHI funding of selected grants upon satisfactory
completion based on evaluation by JHI.
Timing for the 2013 Grant
- Notice of JHI Grant
Competition will be released on July 1, 2013, requesting submission of letters of intent (LOIs).
- LOIs must be submitted by September 1, 2013, to Ilene Staff in Research by e-mail (Ilene.Staff@hhchealth.org) who will forward to JHI.
- The JHI, in consultation with HH Research, will review LOIs and select investigators who will be invited to submit full proposals.
- The JHI will notify investigators as to whether they are being invited to submit full proposal
- Full proposals from selected investigators will be submitted using the HH protocol electronic submission process (Trintech) by November 15, 2013.
- The JHI, in consultation with HH Research, will select the projects to be funded possibly using PI outside professional expertise in the review process.
- The JHI will notify investigators whose proposals will be funded and those not to be funded
Proposal Submission Process
- The investigator must submit:
- A complete budget using the
latest HH Budget Worksheet
- A detailed Budget
Justification document outlining costs and rationale
- Feasibility Statement
- PI and key personnel CVs (not to exceed
- Assistance will be provided, as
deemed necessary, to the selected investigators in preparing grant
Research IRB Review
- There will be no IRB review of
- HH IRB will review all (as appropriate) JHI approved for funding projects
- Questions concerning IRB issues can be addressed to IRB@hhchealth.org
Reference Patient Quality &
Safety Goals for Investigators
- 2013 Joint Commission Patient
- Long Term Care Accreditation
- Home Care Accreditation
Program which will also be used for Assisted Living Facilities and
seniors living independently at home.
- Hartford Hospital Quality & Safety Goals
- The Pennsylvania Patient Safety Authority
Suggested Quality Focus Areas for
- Overall Patient Satisfaction
- Patient and Care Giver Education
- Communication with Care
- Transportation, if required, to
- Fall Prevention
- Medication Reconciliation
- Safe Home Environment
- Glucose Control
- Avoidance of:
- CHF and Aspiration Pneumonia
- Urinary Tract Infections
- Surgical Infections
- Respiratory Tract Infections
- MRSA Prevention
- Hand Hygiene Compliance
- Dental Hygiene Compliance